Getting a Card
Adults: Middletown residents can apply online for a Russell Library card. We will mail the card to you. You may also apply in person at our main desk. Please bring proof of your current address.
Teenagers and Children: Residents under the age of 18 may apply for their own card online.
Connecticut Residents. Residents of other Connecticut towns must present a valid library card from their hometown library.
Student or temporary cards are available for non-residents of Connecticut who are students in Middletown and for patrons who are residing temporarily in Middletown. Please call 860-347-2528 for further information.
Keep your account up-to-date!
- Please inform us of any change to your address and phone number.
- Please report lost or missing card immediately.
- You can login to your account to see what you have out and place holds.
Museum Passes. Limit: 1 per adult card.
New DVDs, Feature Film DVDs. No checkout limits.
New books, new audiobooks, new music. No checkout limits.
Books, magazines, audiobooks, music, non-fiction DVDs, DVD sets, headphones, and hotspots. No checkout limits.
Materials may be returned at the main desk in the lobby book drop during business hours, in the book and video drops when the library is closed, or to any public library in Connecticut. NOTE: Hotspots MUST be returned directly to the Russell Library.
- If an item you would like is checked out, you may request that a reserve or “hold” be placed on that item.
- Requests for materials listed as “Available” are not ready for pick-up until you get an email notification or phone call from the library.
- For questions contact the Information Department.
We can help you help you place your reserve. Please email us.
You may also use our online catalog from outside the library or any catalog computer inside the library to place a reserve yourself.
The library has automatic renewals!
Most Russell Library materials may be renewed twice, unless on hold for another patron. NOTE: eBooks from Libby (Overdrive) do not renew automatically. Please see How to Renew.
Fines and Fees
The Russell Library is fine-free. The Library has not charged overdue fees on children’s and teen materials checked out on children’s and teen cards since 2017. Our digital/downloadable materials have always been fine-free. Now we are offering Fine Freedom for everyone.