Getting a Card
Adults: Middletown residents 18 years old or older must present proof of current residency such as a driver’s license, state ID or two other items with a current address.
Teenagers and Children: Residents under the age of eighteen need to have their applications completed and signed by their parents or legal guardians.
You may apply for a Russell Library card in person or online.
Connecticut Residents. Residents of other Connecticut towns must a valid library card from their hometown library.
Student or temporary cards are available for non-residents of Connecticut who are students in Middletown and for patrons who are residing temporarily in Middletown. Please call 860-347-2528 for further information.
Museum Passes. Limit: 1 per adult card.
Express DVDs. Limit: 3 per adult card.
New DVDs, Feature Film DVDs. No checkout limits.
New books, new audiobooks, new music. No checkout limits.
Books, magazines, audiobooks, music, non-fiction DVDs, DVD sets, headphones, and hotspots. No checkout limits. NOTE: Hotspots may only be taken out on adult Middletown cards.
Materials may be returned at the main desk in the lobby during business hours, in the book and video drops when the library is closed, or to any public library in Connecticut. NOTE: Hotspots MUST be returned to the Russell Library.
- If an item you would like is being used by another patron, you may request that a reserve or “hold” be placed on that item.
- Requests for materials listed as “Available” are not ready for pick-up until you get an email notification or phone call from the library.
- For questions contact the Information Department.
The Information Department will help you place your reserve. You may call them directly at 860-347-2520.
The library now has automatic renewals!
Most Russell Library material may be renewed twice, unless on hold for another patron.
Items will renew autiomatically! You no longer have to call or renew online.
Keep your account up-to-date!
- Please inform us of any change to your address and phone number.
- Please report lost or missing card immediately. (There is a small fee for card replacement.)
- You can login to your online account to see what you have out, place holds, and pay fines.
Fines and Fees
Fines are charged for materials returned after their due date.
Express DVDs – $1.00 per day
Museum Passes – $10.00 per day
Hotspot replacement/late fee – $25
All other items – 10 cents a day per item
Youth library cards (for residents under the age of 18) will not incur overdue fines on items checked out from our Juvenile and Young Adult collections.
You can pay your fines online. Go to our catalog and login to your account with your name and library barcode number. Fines will be displayed on the left of the screen along with payment options.