Getting a Card
Adults: Middletown residents 18 years old or older must present proof of current residency such as a driver’s license, state ID or two other items with a current address.
Teenagers and Children: Residents under the age of eighteen may apply for their own card.
You may apply for a Russell Library card in person or online.
Connecticut Residents. Residents of other Connecticut towns must a valid library card from their hometown library.
Student or temporary cards are available for non-residents of Connecticut who are students in Middletown and for patrons who are residing temporarily in Middletown. Please call 860-347-2528 for further information.
Do not return library materials right now. Due dates on all materials have been extended to May 1st.
Museum Passes. Limit: 1 per adult card.
Express DVDs. Limit: 3 per adult card.
New DVDs, Feature Film DVDs. No checkout limits.
New books, new audiobooks, new music. No checkout limits.
Books, magazines, audiobooks, music, non-fiction DVDs, DVD sets, headphones, and hotspots. No checkout limits. NOTE: Hotspots may only be taken out on adult Middletown cards.
Materials may be returned at the main desk in the lobby during business hours, in the book and video drops when the library is closed, or to any public library in Connecticut. NOTE: Hotspots MUST be returned to the Russell Library.
- NOTE: We are not allowing holds to be placed on any materials at this time.
- If an item you would like is being used by another patron, you may request that a reserve or “hold” be placed on that item.
- Requests for materials listed as “Available” are not ready for pick-up until you get an email notification or phone call from the library.
- For questions contact the Information Department.
The Information Department will help you place your reserve. You may call them directly at 860-347-2520.
You may also use our online catalog from outside the library or any catalog computer inside the library to place a reserve yourself.
Looking for a great read for your book club? Russell Library has curated a collection of Book Club Kits, which include 6 or more copies of each book and a discussion guide, all packaged together in a handy portable tote bag.
The library now has automatic renewals!
Most Russell Library material may be renewed twice, unless on hold for another patron.
Items will renew autiomatically! You no longer have to call or renew online.
Keep your account up-to-date!
- Please inform us of any change to your address and phone number.
- Please report lost or missing card immediately. (There is a small fee for card replacement.)
- You can login to your account to see what you have out and place holds.
Fines and Fees
The Russell Library is going completely fine-free as of July 1, 2020. The Library has not charged overdue fees on children’s and teen materials checked out on children’s and teen cards since 2017. Our digital/downloadable materials have always been fine-free. Now we are offering Fine Freedom for everyone.